Simple tips to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
1. INFORMAL LETTERS
2. INFORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, (Comma & Hey!) 2. START A LETTER Thank for the previous letter OR apologize for not writing before, one or two questions regarding family or friends. (1 short paragraph) — Informal letters to strangers: Reason why you are writing — 3. BODY Answer the details which you have already been told, express your interest to know more info on what was earlier mentioned. Make positive comments, respond 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER with some questions so that the receiver feels, motivated to reply. Give news, be emotional, plan a date, leave contact details (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (1 line 10 – 15 words) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (a few words) You may use contractions or phrasal verbs ?
3. INFORMAL LETTER 1. Dear Martin, 2. TO START OUT A LETTER • Thank you for your letter. It absolutely was great to listen to from you. How’s your new baby? • thank you for your letter and sorry for not replying sooner. • Sorry I haven’t written for way too long. I’ve been really busy lately. So you bought a house that is new! How can it be?
4. 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE • Love, • plenty of love, • Cheers! Take it easy! • Best wishes, • most of the best, Marking Code: Capitalization, Organisation, Punctuation, Register/Formality, Sentence Structure, Spelling, Wrong form, Word order, Wrong tense, Wrong word, Word(s) missing, Omit word. INFORMAL LETTER 5. TO END A LETTER • Give my love to… • Ok, i have surely got to go now, so see you soon! • That’s about all. Do write soon and inform me what you’ve been doing. • I look forward to seeing you soon. Many thanks ahead of time for your help.
5. “Task letter”
6. 1. Hello Simon, 2. I’m glad you have in mind my country. As the friend said, i would like us to email each other to help me enhance your English. 3. i want to start by telling you a little about myself and my family. My name’s Ivo and I live in Kutna Hora, which is about 45 minutes from Prague by car. I used to focus for a company that is medical I am just understanding how to be a salesperson. As time goes on I want a working job where i could travel for could work. I’ve already been to some places in pay someone to write my essay Europe but I’ve never gone to an country that is english-speaking. I live at home with my parents, which is convenient, as I do not have to do much housework and my meals are cooked in my situation. My younger brother is their studies at university. Although he could be four years younger than me, we get on very well. We both enjoy snowboarding and music. 4. think about you? Perhaps you have gone to the Czech Republic? It would be great if you could come over one day and now we could fix up a gathering. The trend is to let me know your plans? 5. Anyway, I must go and acquire on with my work! Looking forward to hearing away from you soon. 6. Best wishes, 7. Siore (180-190 words)
7. FORMAL LETTERS
8. FORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, To strangers: To whom it might concern, 2. START A LETTER State the good reason why you might be writing. (1 short paragraph) 3. BODY Answer the details which you have been told. Give information about the presssing issue you may be currently talking about. Respond the duty references 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER by expressing what do you want to get because of this or answer. (Offer solutions, ask for something in return). Leave contact information (1 pragraph that is short 5. CLOSING LINE (look ahead to ______ing ….) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (2 words) You may NOT use contractions NOR phrasal verbs ?
9. FORMAL LETTER ORGANISING THE INFORMATION Firstly Secondly In addition Lastly / Last but not least 5. TO GET RID OF A LETTER I am looking forward to hearing away from you soon. Don’t use contractions. Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr. / Mrs. Smith Yours faithfully Yours sincerely 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE yours sincerely, yours faithfully,
10. 1. Dear Mr. Smith, 2. I am writing to apply for the career of . that we saw advertised in “The Guardian” newspaper. 3. I am 23 years of age and at the moment I am studying … at …. .Having studied English for over seven years I am a speaker that is fluent of language. My qualifications also include Proficiency certificates in both german and french. So far as experience can be involved, We have worked as . for . As for my personality, people let me know I am . 4. I feel I would personally be suitable for this working job because I. . This may give me the chance to ….. . I would also just like the chance to. 5. I look forward to hearing away from you. 6. yours sincerely, 7. Siorella Gonzales
11. FCE ESSAY BEFORE YOU START Think of a solution to your Essay question! Plan your essay. (Brainstorm for 5-10 minutes) Manage your time and effort. (Aprox. 40 minutes) ONCE YOU FINISH make certain you have expressed yourself clearly. Check your writing for grammar & spelling mistakes. TIPS NO contractions, colloquial expressions or ‘chatty’ style. Use complex grammar structures and sophisticated vocabulary Use conditional sentences and all sorts of PRESENT,PAST, FUTURE tenses. Give your OPINION AT THE final end, NOT at the beginning.
12. The introduction should: • Start general and go til specific • be 3 to 4 sentences long. • have a sentence or 2 concerning the topic generally speaking. • have a sentence telling the reader if the essay will have a look at once or both sides of this issue. • have a question/idea that you simply will answer in your essay. (Paragraph 4) the final outcome should: • begin with :: In closing” ,“In the end”, “To sum up” etc… • be 2 to 3 sentences long. • Include a listing of your points that are main. • have a reference to the original question (make an effort to rephrase it). • have your opinion: “I believe…” I think” “I reckon” • haven’t any new information.
13. STRUCTURING YOUR ESSAY Mathematics! • Most people write on 10-12 words per line. • You have to write a complete of 190 words, so you should write about 18 lines as a whole. INTRODUCTION: (general thought) 3 lines (30-40 words) Paragraph 1/ Idea 1 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 2 / Idea 2 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 3 / Idea 3 4 lines (40 words) In closing, 3 lines (30-40 words)
14. OUTLINE I. INTRODUCTION II. CONTRAST OF ARGUMENTS A. ADVANTAGES B. DISADVANTAGES (PROS AND CONS). C. GIVING OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ON THE TITLE. III. CONCLUSION
15. MEETING THE GOAL
16. TASK 3: a. Write the draft that is first of essay in a piece of paper. (10 min) b. Check your partner’s First draft.
17. ESSAY LINKS http://teacher.sch olastic.com/activiti es/writing/persuas iveflash/transition alwords.htm http://www.flo- joe.co.uk/fce/stud ents/writing/linkin g/ Example question In class you’ve been technology that is discussing. Now, your English teacher has asked you to write an essay. Write an essay using all the notes and present reasons behind your point of view. You must write your answer in 140-190 words in an appropriate style. Nowadays, technology is everywhere. Has technology made people’s lives better or worse? Notes talk about: 1.medical science 2.the internet 3.your own idea